Checkup and Cleaning
The American Dental Association (ADA) guidelines recommend visiting a dentist at least twice a year for a checkup and professional cleaning. Our office also recommends a minimum of two visits per year.
Professional dental cleanings (dental prophylaxis) are usually performed by Registered Dental Hygienists. Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam and the following:
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins (poisons) that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease!
- Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.
Prevention and Maintenance
A beautiful, healthy smile that lasts a lifetime is our ultimate goal when treating patients. Your personal home care plays an important role in achieving that goal. Your personal home care starts by eating balanced meals, reducing the number of snacks you eat, and correctly using the various dental aids that help control the plaque and bacteria that cause dental disease.
Brush your teeth at least twice a day (especially before going to bed at night) with an ADA approved soft bristle brush and toothpaste.
- Place the brush at a 45 degree angle to the gums and gently brush using a small, circular motion, ensuring that you always feel the bristles on the gums.
- Brush the outer, inner, and biting surfaces of each tooth.
- Use the tip of the brush to clean the inside of the front teeth.
- Brush your tongue to remove bacteria and freshen your breath.
Electric toothbrushes are also recommended. They are easy to use and can remove plaque efficiently. Simply place the bristles of the electric brush on your gums and teeth and allow the brush to do its job, several teeth at a time.
Daily flossing is the best way to clean between the teeth and under the gumline. Flossing not only helps clean these spaces, it disrupts plaque colonies from building up, preventing damage to the gums, teeth, and bone.
- Take 12-16 inches (30-40cm) of dental floss and wrap it around your middle fingers, leaving about 2 inches (5cm) of floss between the hands.
- Using your thumbs and forefingers to guide the floss, gently insert the floss between teeth using a sawing motion.
- Curve the floss into a “C” shape around each tooth and under the gumline. Gently move the floss up and down, cleaning the side of each tooth.
Floss holders are recommended if you have difficulty using conventional floss.
It is important to rinse your mouth with water after brushing, and also after meals if you are unable to brush. If you are using an over-the-counter product for rinsing, it’s a good idea to consult with your dentist or dental hygienist on its appropriateness for you.
Use other dental aids as recommended by your dentist or dental hygienist: Interdental brushes, rubber tip stimulators, tongue cleaners, irrigation devices, fluoride, medicated rinses, etc., can all play a role in good dental home care.
WHAT OUR PATIENTS SAY
Inside it was beautiful and extremely clean. There is a waterfall right when you walk in and a beautiful fish tank. The ladies at the desk were extremely nice and very helpful. Once they took me to the back, they sat me down in the chair and started a movie for me to watch on a laptop screen right in front of me. This helped me relax. The dental assistants and the dentist were very helpful in letting me know what my choices were but I never felt pressured. When they started the cleaning they were very good at keeping me calm, because I don’t like going to the dentist at all. But after finding this place I don’t think I will ever say that again. All in all it was a great experience. Oh and they did a great job cleaning my teeth… they are SO white!
100% hands down love this dentistry. The staff who work here are amazing. They remember you and help you out the best they can. They are accommodating and very sweet. They do a great job and get me in and out with the best experience and always making me feel my best.
EXCELLENT! From the receptionist to the dental hygienist to the assistant office manager that worked with the coverage I have with my insurance and to Dr. Cruz They are the Absolute Best!!! I’m a Forever Patient
I went to Smile Now..time for my quarterly check up. I have always had great service from Veronica she is so funny and when they numbed me she knows I hate needles and she holds my hand. I find their customer service, cleaning recommendations, and ability to work around my schedule what sets them apart from other dentists. In the 10 years as a patient they have always cared about me, never over charged, and made sure I was comfortable with all procedures